Wednesday, April 9

my new toy: show & tell

There's been a bit of a "something lacking" in my Home (Away from Home) apartment... could be due to 90% of my belongings still being in boxes in Washington, but besides that, there's still something lacking!

Until now: I have a new toy, or maybe better yet - a little home within my home!



I found a stellar deal on a Biorb and will soon be adding little LIVES to my humble abode (who can live next to mini-NYorb)! Since I tend to keep the shades drawn to hide from the nearness of my neighbors (& to keep heat/air costs down with the warm days & cool nights - and Mom, I think I'm turning into G'ma Ruth!!!), plant life requiring sunlight has seemed out of the question. But fish life works best kept away from sunlight - perfect! We'll hide from the outside world together.

The set-up was very simple. The box came with everything needed to begin the acquarium. I added a few rocks I liked better than the ones that came with the set, and now it's ready to stabalize for my new friends!

Next step: pick 'em out...

I can keep a total of five-ish small ones in the 4 gallons. And because of my goldfish traumas from youth (remember that, Mom?? ewwwwww!!!!), I've SPECIFICALLY sought advice on the CLEANEST and HEALTHIEST fish possible for a newbie acquarium. Here are my favorites I have an eye on...


cardinal tetras


black tetras


cherry barb


rosy barb


green tiger fish



tiger barb




veiled angel fish

black angel fish



Because of their size, hardiness, and ease to care for, I think I'm going to get the tiger barbs or the cardinal tetras (if I can find them locally - they are a wild variety, not farm raised).

Which would you pick?

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow---looks like you are set! So your little acquarium has a light? It looks cute and just the right size. Yes, I remember the trauma of the gold fish---that was sad. Remember when I called the pet store owner asking about the stingy thingy? Oh my, didn't do the right research for sure prior to that adventure. :) I will look forward to pictures of your new friends.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. the Cardinal Tetras are pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. correction: "stringy" :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today I like the "cherry barb" and "tiger barb" too-----hard to pick just one.

    ReplyDelete