Friday, April 11

fish adventures

After work this evening I migrated up the 405 traffic stream to the Pacific Reef Tropical Fish Store, hoping for an "official" and final opinion on my tropical fish options.

The fellow behind the counter, who could have been my grandpa, must have been hired to be the only "dry" thing in that watery little fish world - he had NO personality! When I told him about my biOrb and that I was there to pick out some tropical fish for it, he looked at me like I was yet another silly newbie aquarist for thinking I could put tropical fish in my biOrb (but, but, but… Petsmart & Petco told me!!!...) ...

"Oh, you have the BABY biOrb? I thought you had a LARGER one. You can only have a couple tropical fish in there, and ONLY if you have the water heater accessory. And no, the schooling fish won't 'school' in your size tank - it's too small."

"What size tank would they need to be happy?"

"At least 10 gallons, if not more. They need room to swim. And they need a heater. "

"Oh..... well I suppose I could order the heater attachment from the manufacturer. Hmmm. Well, if I don’t though, what kind of fish are we talking about for my unheated, 4 gallons?"

"A beta would be good."

".......oh."

[He looked at me blankly.]

"Do I have any other options?"

"A goldfish."

".....................oh."

[I cringed at that dreaded name.]

".......I've had bad experiences with those kind of fish."

[He looked at me blankly again, as though he wasn’t sure what else I expected him to tell me about my small, unheated, four gallon tank.]

While I raised an eyebrow in the direction of his bubbling goldfish tanks and pondered the fate of my empty biOrb, I began having childhood flash-backs of my flaccid, pale, expressionless dead goldfish in a murky swamp of stringy-things...and decided 'grandpa' took facial-expression lessons from his fish...

"Well, let me think this over while I wander around your store,” I responded.

'Grandpa' looked as though he could have had fins, the way he swished around and finally settled on his stool behind the counter, as though it was a piece of coral behind some greenery.

I wandered the store, jealously looking at all the colorful, flashy tropical fish swimming happily in their tanks. Ooooooh, an idea struck me....

"Are clown fish saltwater fish?” I would only need to add salt at that point!

"Yes. And they need a heater.”

Darn it. There goes that idea. On to the goldfish, I guess...

“How many goldfish can I have in my size tank?”

“One.”

“But if I want more than one fish for my…?”

You’re tank is too small.”

“I would like to have more than one fish if I could, though. The biOrb box said my tank could hold up to five fish that grow no bigger than 1.5 inches – is there anything that doesn’t grow bigger than that?”

“You could have a few guppies.”

“But would I need a heater?”

“Yes.”

I wasn’t getting very far.

I looked at the goldfish again.

They were bug-eyed with bushy fins, and swam hysterically around their little tank like a bunch of dopey clowns in a rodeo. Pretty clowns, but very, VERY dopey. And dirty. I couldn’t pull myself to go down that road again.

I turned on my heels, longingly and slowly walking past all the pretty tropical fish, and on to the beta display…again.

After much inspection, and a few more questions about what fish a beta could swim with and NOT attack and NOT need a water heater for, I found myself carrying my new friend to the register…a little blue and red male beta.

'Grandpa' seemed pleasantly relieved I had finally made up my mind. LOL ;)

So, I took my yet-to-be-named, “little guy” home, adjusted him to his house’s water temperature, and then let him run free...all by his lonesome.


To help him feel a little more at home, I gave him some of his beta food for "dinner." He took a couple bites, and then spit it out.

"......terrific," I thought to myself, "I picked out a bulimic beta."

Soooooooo, aside from nicknaming him "BB" until I can find a more appropriate name, and watching him swim in a continuous counter-clockwise circle for about an hour, this has been my evening. :) We're off to a great start, I can tell!

I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. Your fish is pretty! I hope your present fish adventure turns out better than your nightmare and childhood adventure. :) That is funny about your Carrie Underwood dream. Reminds me-- I need to check into tickets for her May concert.Sounds like Grandpa wanted your fish to stay warm. Wonder if everyone was just making up things about the fish? By the way, I played with the little black kitty tonight. That is cute. I like his tail. :) Keep me posted on your little pal.
    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mom. :) Yes, I hope this turns out to be a better adventure than the one we remember! And yes, 'Grandpa' definitely wanted to make sure everyone stayed warm. Too funny. Petco & Petsmart folks said the tropical fish would be fine without a heater. Oh well. I would rather not have the fish dying on me...

    I thought the Carrie Underwood dream was funny, too. Let me know what you find out about the tickets!

    Yes, I like the kitty widget too. Did you play with his ears? They twitch if you run the cursor over them.

    I love you Mom!

    ReplyDelete