Sunday, February 17

Upstairs at Bob's...

I've always been curious about what's upstairs at Bob's (our little hole-in-the-wall hangout I described in the last post). His establishment is located in the old City Hall building, which is circa 1885. Well...looks like the building's present owners are remodeling, so I took it upon myself to do a little self-guided tour while my friends were gabbing away in the packed-out pub downstairs... (shhh!)

After walking to the back of the building and doing a Bond-esque manauever around the wide-open kitchen door, I came to the old stairwell. I tip-toed up the creeky stairs, wondering what the old treads would look like if they had a little spit-and-polish applied to them, and hoping I didn't give myself away to the people in the kitchen below me.


At the top, the stairwell suddenly ended at two doors, one being locked...the other not...



Of course I was dying to know what was behind unlocked "Classroom 1"!


After feeling around in the dark, trying to let my eyes adjust to the near-pitch black, I vainly attempted to locate a light-switch. Wouldn't have helped any had I found one: of all the exposed wiring above, I didn't see one lightbulb. Thankfully, after entering the dark room a little further, streetlamps from outside Bob's filtered just enough light in through the dusty old windows for me to somewhat see the floor in front of my feet and some forgotten piles of stuff from time past.


At this point I was starting to get pretty excited, thinking my friends below my feet in Bob's were clueless about the treasure trove of heavily dust-ladden crap I had just found!! I mean, check out this old streetlamp and horn!! And anyone need an archaic fax machine? (forgot to get a picture of that one!)


I wanted to blow on the horn, but thought better about the idea and left it alone (who knows what century old saliva is left lingering on that thing???). At this point I started thinking I should probably head back to my friends: I had been gone for a little while. Tip-toeing makes for slow walking after all.

So I turned around to head back to the door...and almost walked into this!!!


With music and sounds from an Alfred Hitchcock movie playing in my head, I let my imagination run with me as I high-tailed it back to safety... plus my beer was getting warm. Time to get back to the table!

No comments:

Post a Comment