Thursday, January 1

henri cartier-bresson

I just finished watching an interesting documentary on the Sundance channel about Henri Cartier-Bresson (color photo below), the father of modern photojournalism.  He was inspired to become a professional photographer by the center photo of the running boys; a picture taken by Martin Munkacsi: Lake Tanganyika.

It's just amazing to me how Cartier-Bresson was able to capture such expression and character with his camera.  His pictures seem so timeless, as though they carry life into perpetuity.



I've been on an a real art-kick these days.  It feels so good to have time (& energy!) to exercise my right brain!  I miss the days when I would check out a free museum pass from SPU's SUB, ride the bus downtown Seattle and watch all the 'different' people of the bus culture, and end up at the SAM...transported through time as I walked through the various exhibits.  I miss getting into the Seattle Symphony for $10 on student discount, getting the best seats in the house, and being utterly moved by the music...feeling almost completely absorbed by it.

It's been over a year since I've had such a visceral response to the beauty of art.  Little wonder it's felt like part of me has been in a coma.

No comments:

Post a Comment