Wednesday, January 28

cranberry coconut cookies

Mom and I are having a nice time experimenting with new recipes in the kitchen.  We've worked out a good process too - I dirty the dishes and she puts them in the dishwasher.  LOL  Well, and I help put them away too.

I had a hankering for some really oaty cookies the other day and came up with this low-everything recipe.  I'm in the process of tweaking it still (I'd like to lower the carbohydrate calories more and increase the proteins), but it's pretty yummy the way it is.


Cranberry Coconut Cookies
by: cvo

3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup  egg substitute (or 3 egg whites)
1/4 cup  butter, w/o salt - room temp
2 tbs  milk, nonfat organic
1 tsp  vanilla extract

1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup whole oats
2 tsp cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp basking soda
1/8 tsp salt

1 cup  cranberries, dried
1 tbs  coconut, dried


1.  In your main mixing bowl, combine all wet ingredients until smooth and well mixed.
2.  In a seperate mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients until well blended.
3.  Add dry to wet and mix well.
4.  Add cranberries & coconut to the mix.  Blend until just combined.
5.  Scoop dough with small ice cream scoop onto cookie sheets.
5.  Bake in oven at 325 degrees, about 12-14 minutes.  (They will stay mounded and not flatten out like you might expect.)  Should come out kinda gooey in the middle and firm on the outside.  Don't bake too long, or they'll dry out!  Will make about 18 cookies (or more if you make them smaller...or less if you eat the dough before it gets to the oven!!).

I'm testing out a new recipe calculator, so I figured up the actual stats per cookie for y'all...



For the next batch, I want to try to substitute some of the sugar with molasses (I'd LOVE to try agave nectar if I can get my hands on it around here, but I have no idea where I could by THAT in Yakima), add some powdered milk for extra protein, maybe decrease the wheat and add some All Bran for extra fiber, and use some applesauce to replace some of the butter.  

If you have any other healthy substitutions you'd make, let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Corrie
    Your recipes sound yummy.. I too love oaty cookies. I have also added wheat germ to a recipe like this with some success.
    Actually- you can find agave nector pretty easily around here, in the hispanic foods section. I know our fiesta foods has it (along with many other delicious mexican/latino treats).
    I haven't had time to read your blog in awhile.. will try to catch up soon.
    Love
    Aunt Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips, Aunt Marilyn! I would usually find that stuff at the whole food stores in my area. But I'm missing all the fresh peppers down south as well, so I definitely look forward to check out the local hispanic stores!

    Hope all's well for you these days.

    cvo

    ReplyDelete