Sunday, May 17

sun & guns: fire arm clinic day at a high-country desert orchard

This weekend has been gorgeous; we've finally had some nice warm weather after an extraordinarly long winter and slow spring.  I got out on my bike twice, felt good (minus my psoas cramping both times - I'm working on it at least).  Pruned on some yard plants.  BBQ'd tonight.  Putzed around the house with the kitties.  AND, made it out to a fire arms clinic at an orchard way out in the Naches/Wenas area...

Sure was a fun event!  Got to see several guns I'd never seen before (including some muzzle-loaders), as well as test out some various pistols first-hand.  I decided I have a new favorite:  the .500 Smith & Weston revolver.  Oh that baby is powerful and has sweet aim - and it is HUGE!  Apparently it's the most powerful production revolver out there.  I guess you can even hunt game with it at over 200 yards!!  The kick felt (to me) like I was firing a low-power rifle.  Very fun!  I was pretty proud of myself too...the instructor and his hunting buddies played with it before I got off my test shot.  They were trying to hit a hunter-orange "bomb" about 200 yds out on the ground that they had made with some explosive powder (I was told it's all legal - LOL) and were all off by a ways from it.  The instructor then handed the gun to me and told me it was my turn to show them all up.  I hit the dirt just 8 inches or so to the left of the target; very close, compared to all them.  He looked quite impressed and said had I aimed the gun just a hair to the right I would have hit it.  Woohoo!!  ;)

Just to give you an idea of how hurking big the 500 is, here are some pictures of the gun and ammo.  (I have no idea who the people in the pictures are - just pulled them off a google search.)


(that's pretty much what I looked like - LOL)
(yes, it's about as long as my forearm too)
(the thing takes HUGE bullets)

So all very fun.  Keeps me dreaming/drooling about that over/under shotgun I hope to buy this year!!  S.M.M.: you are definitely going to be there when I buy it, too, k??  I'm gonna need your help!!

2 comments:

  1. we say 'putz', too! must run in the family. :) I'm putzing today with a head cold. it's one of those activities you can do with a cold....

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha! yes, "putzing" & "futzing" are common place around here. ;)

    sorry to hear about your cold! get well soon.

    ReplyDelete